Toney

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller

Toney

Post by Gaz_Miller » 08 Aug 2019, 16:04

Just turned down £4m for Toney apparently (source: Darragh on Twitter).

Show real intent that it's promotion or bust this season!
I have no internet friends

Gaz_Miller

Re: Toney

Post by Gaz_Miller » 08 Aug 2019, 17:02

No excuses now.

We've got a forward line worth £5.5m, an assist king worth £2m, a central midfielder who says he's still good enough for Championship top six & a whole new defence all bought in by the current regime.

Ferguson has been backed more than any other manager so he has to deliver.

dunc

Post by dunc » 08 Aug 2019, 18:23

That's a shame!

We could've used the money to acquire a quality central midfield player and a reserve striker.
Then we would be able to play F.ergie and this team's preferred systems - formations that only offer one striker.
Systems that would accommodate both Knight and Woodyard and allow for both Maddison and Dembele to play in the same team.

ashman

Post by ashman » 09 Aug 2019, 08:29

Well done to the manager, the chairman and his associates. The times we have sold one of our valuable players near to the beginning of the season is ridiculous - but only time will tell if we have done the right thing!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 09 Aug 2019, 08:33

The £4m deal would have been from presumably a Premier league club, and however good we may think he is, he ain't Premier league ready. As it is not yet the official transfer deadline for clubs outside the PL and Championship, then if that comes from any source outside that level ie another first division club (Sunderland/Portsmouth?Ipswich), we can anticipate more interest in the next few days. As for the other reported rumours regarding Maddison and Dembele I can't see either being wanted by PL sides unless Brighton truly have lost their marbles. I think it is just a case of Darragh and Barry making statements (probably untrue) to suggest a level that those interested who may wish to come in have to consider their offers at that particular level. Roll on the 31st when we will know for definite we have them until December at least.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

ashman

Post by ashman » 09 Aug 2019, 08:40

bristleposh wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 08:33
The £4m deal would have been from presumably a Premier league club, and however good we may think he is, he ain't Premier league ready. As it is not yet the official transfer deadline for clubs outside the PL and Championship, then if that comes from any source outside that level ie another first division club (Sunderland/Portsmouth?Ipswich), we can anticipate more interest in the next few days. As for the other reported rumours regarding Maddison and Dembele I can't see either being wanted by PL sides unless Brighton truly have lost their marbles. I think it is just a case of Darragh and Barry making statements (probably untrue) to suggest a level that those interested who may wish to come in have to consider their offers at that particular level. Roll on the 31st when we will know for definite we have them until December at least.
Nobody knows the real truth and to suggest otherwise is only a matter of opinion!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 09 Aug 2019, 09:05

bristleposh wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 08:33
The £4m deal would have been from presumably a Premier league club, and however good we may think he is, he ain't Premier league ready.
Not a Premier League club.
Apparently it was Charlton.
https://the72.co.uk/142139/charlton-ath ... -rejected/
Being happy never goes out of style

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 09 Aug 2019, 09:08

ashman wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 08:29
Well done to the manager, the chairman and his associates. The times we have sold one of our valuable players near to the beginning of the season is ridiculous - but only time will tell if we have done the right thing!
Agree with this. The owners can't win with Posh fans.

Sell him for £4m and we have no ambition.
Reject bid of £4m and we should have sold him.

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 09 Aug 2019, 09:13

Gaz_Miller wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 09:08
ashman wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 08:29
Agree with this. The owners can't win with Posh fans.

Sell him for £4m and we have no ambition.
Reject bid of £4m and we should have sold him.
Time will tell.
I can see Toney scoring a few goals this season to prove DMac made the right decision.
Being happy never goes out of style

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 09 Aug 2019, 09:21

tonyp wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 09:13
Time will tell.
I can see Toney scoring a few goals this season to prove DMac made the right decision.
That wasn't really my point Tony.

Can you imagine the uproar if we had cashed in on Toney? And then you read some comments that we should have sold him & bought a midfielder.

The gamble is Eisa. £1.2m on a forward who hasn't scored a league goal for 16 months. Remember that Fergie paid £1.5m for Tyrone Barnett after watching him for 45 minutes.

Toney will score goals but I still think centre midfield is our weakest part.