The Ashes 2019

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28581
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by bristleposh » 15 Aug 2019, 15:04

Ferguson's fault
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17838
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by ashman » 15 Aug 2019, 16:35

bristleposh wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:04
Ferguson's fault
Don't be silly! Go to the top - DMac's fault!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28581
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by bristleposh » 15 Aug 2019, 16:40

ashman wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 16:35
bristleposh wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:04
Ferguson's fault
Don't be silly! Go to the top - DMac's fault!
I was beginning to think it was the stupid people who voted Brexit
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 411
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by Gaz_Miller » 15 Aug 2019, 16:44

Back on topic (interrupting the brains of the board), Chris Woakes again proving himself with the bat.

Making a lot of the top order batsmen look very poor.
I have no internet friends

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19671
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by tonyp » 16 Aug 2019, 08:32

Forecast for rain today.
I suppose weather forecasters have been known to be wrong.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19671
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by tonyp » 18 Aug 2019, 21:28

England 258 & 258/5d

Australia 250 & 154/6

Match drawn
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28581
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by bristleposh » 18 Aug 2019, 21:33

I was totally unaware that a substitute batsman could be used
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19671
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by tonyp » 18 Aug 2019, 21:46

Well it's a fairly recent rule introduced by the ICC.It only applies when a player suffers concussion and fails a concussion test.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28581
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by bristleposh » 18 Aug 2019, 22:32

tonyp wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 21:46
Well it's a fairly recent rule introduced by the ICC.It only applies when a player suffers concussion and fails a concussion test.
That would explain why England couldn't use a sub when Anderson got injured, may have made a big difference.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19671
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by tonyp » 19 Aug 2019, 00:35

bristleposh wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 22:32
tonyp wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 21:46
Well it's a fairly recent rule introduced by the ICC.It only applies when a player suffers concussion and fails a concussion test.
That would explain why England couldn't use a sub when Anderson got injured, may have made a big difference.
Yes and Yes.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
Poshay
Posts: 6077
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 11:31
Location: PE10

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by Poshay » 19 Aug 2019, 07:41

Based on that new ruling England could have substituted Roy ; he seems off his head!
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28581
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by bristleposh » 19 Aug 2019, 08:00

Poshay wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 07:41
Based on that new ruling England could have substituted Roy ; he seems off his head!
In the one day game he was superb, especially when partnering Bairstow, the red ball appears to be so different to the white ball game
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19671
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by tonyp » 19 Aug 2019, 09:37

bristleposh wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 08:00
the red ball appears to be so different to the white ball game
It's not just the colour of the ball. It's a different game.
Test cricket is real cricket. Played over up to 5 days with appropriate skill and caution.
"White ball" is pretend cricket. Slam bang. In Australia 20/20 is appropriately called Big Bash cricket.
The crowds love it and so unfortunately do the kids.
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17838
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by ashman » 19 Aug 2019, 10:04

tonyp wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 09:37
bristleposh wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 08:00
the red ball appears to be so different to the white ball game
It's not just the colour of the ball. It's a different game.
Test cricket is real cricket. Played over up to 5 days with appropriate skill and caution.
"White ball" is pretend cricket. Slam bang. In Australia 20/20 is appropriately called Big Bash cricket.
The crowds love it and so unfortunately do the kids.
When bristle said the 'red ball game' was very different to the 'white ball game' he wasn't literally referring to the colour of the ball. He of course knows the differences between the two games as do we all. Modern limited overs cricket is a very relevant form of the game and has brought many a youngster to enjoy its merits and slowly they are also beginning to appreciate the full test match game. Without this form of the game, test cricket as we knew it from days gone by would have sunk without trace.
Modern day test cricketers are a great deal more attacking than the previous generations such as Boycott and others. How many sixes did Boycott ever plunder in his test match career?
Dismissing the 'white ball' game as pretend is wrong!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19671
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: The Ashes 2019

Post by tonyp » 19 Aug 2019, 10:11

ashman wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 10:04
tonyp wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 09:37
bristleposh wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 08:00
the red ball appears to be so different to the white ball game
It's not just the colour of the ball. It's a different game.
Test cricket is real cricket. Played over up to 5 days with appropriate skill and caution.
"White ball" is pretend cricket. Slam bang. In Australia 20/20 is appropriately called Big Bash cricket.
The crowds love it and so unfortunately do the kids.
When bristle said the 'red ball game' was very different to the 'white ball game' he wasn't literally referring to the colour of the ball. He of course knows the differences between the two games as do we all. Modern limited overs cricket is a very relevant form of the game and has brought many a youngster to enjoy its merits and slowly they are also beginning to appreciate the full test match game. Without this form of the game, test cricket as we knew it from days gone by would have sunk without trace.
Modern day test cricketers are a great deal more attacking than the previous generations such as Boycott and others. How many sixes did Boycott ever plunder in his test match career?
Dismissing the 'white ball' game as pretend is wrong!
Garbage.
I know what Bristle meant.He is right. It is "so different".
One day and especially 20/20 is ruining real cricket.
Bradman didn't hit many sixes either.
Being happy never goes out of style

Post Reply