Maddison to Hull

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9499
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by Brianposh » 28 Jun 2019, 21:34

Just a few minutes back from a holiday in Northern Ireland and made a close friend at the Hotel with a life long avid Hull City fan. He knew nothing in regard to MM and is very uncertain about Grant getting the job. He said the Club is in a terrible state with owners disliked intensely.
He adored George B. when he was there of course.
He reckons they are now due for relegation.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19636
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by tonyp » 30 Jun 2019, 09:55

Marcus Maddison: Barry Fry says Hull 'can't afford' Peterborough winger.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48791257
He told BBC Radio Humberside: "I don't think Hull can afford him so the sooner it dies the better for me, or they put their money where their mouth is."
Being happy never goes out of style

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17824
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by ashman » 30 Jun 2019, 12:23

As Barry says: "He's a genius this guy and we want to get in the Championship as much as anybody. We've got a hell of a chance with him, and little or no chance without him."

I totally agree with Barry on this. It is no good keep on selling our top players, year on year, and then failing to get into or rather maintain a position within the Championship. I know we have to make sure that we are totally solvent but maybe the new owners will be willing to 'bite the bullet' and put in that extra revenue in order to achieve this.

Personally, I really enjoy League One football and it wouldn't bother me unduly if we were to remain in this league although a properly maintained club at Championship level would be a great asset to the city.
Prices for attendance at League One away grounds are generally not too exorbitant; you can mainly get into local pubs before the game and there is nearly always a chance for good craic with opposing fans, making it a great day out.
Prices in the Championship take a good hike, we tend to be herded into pubs and places that only the local constabulary want and there are definitely loads more undesirables roaming around the stadia.
If the club genuinely have designs on Championship football in the near and distant future I reckon that the present policy of selling players as soon as they are worth a few million is not the way to go. Maybe DMac and co. need to think about what their medium term policy should be?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16252
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by DaveLister » 30 Jun 2019, 13:49

ashman wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 12:23
As Barry says: "He's a genius this guy and we want to get in the Championship as much as anybody. We've got a hell of a chance with him, and little or no chance without him."

I totally agree with Barry on this. It is no good keep on selling our top players, year on year, and then failing to get into or rather maintain a position within the Championship. I know we have to make sure that we are totally solvent but maybe the new owners will be willing to 'bite the bullet' and put in that extra revenue in order to achieve this.

Personally, I really enjoy League One football and it wouldn't bother me unduly if we were to remain in this league although a properly maintained club at Championship level would be a great asset to the city.
Prices for attendance at League One away grounds are generally not too exorbitant; you can mainly get into local pubs before the game and there is nearly always a chance for good craic with opposing fans, making it a great day out.
Prices in the Championship take a good hike, we tend to be herded into pubs and places that only the local constabulary want and there are definitely loads more undesirables roaming around the stadia.
If the club genuinely have designs on Championship football in the near and distant future I reckon that the present policy of selling players as soon as they are worth a few million is not the way to go. Maybe DMac and co. need to think about what their medium term policy should be?
One has to agree with Frys comments of Maddisons quality, the bloke is the best attacking player in the division and promotion is of course a lot easier with him.

I wouldn't write us off without him though, we haven't even seen our new players yet.

That being said, I'm very chuffed about Toney and Eisa working in tandem with MM.
Image

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19636
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by tonyp » 30 Jun 2019, 17:16

DaveLister wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:49
One has to agree with Frys comments of Maddisons quality, the bloke is the best attacking player in the division and promotion is of course a lot easier with him.
I agree with you Dave. And Barry.
"He's got more assists than anybody in the whole country over the last four years, [so] we're not going to sell him cheap just because he's in his last year," Fry said.
Being happy never goes out of style

Wycliffe
Posts: 1893
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by Wycliffe » 30 Jun 2019, 18:19

Mate of mine who was up at Hull for the rugby league last week was told by various tigers fans they'd heard it was a 'done deal'.
They are singularly unimpressed by the appointment of Grant in particular and the ownership situation in general and feel this transfer is the owner's way of backing the new manager

Wycliffe
Posts: 1893
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by Wycliffe » 30 Jun 2019, 18:20

tonyp wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 17:16
DaveLister wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:49
One has to agree with Frys comments of Maddisons quality, the bloke is the best attacking player in the division and promotion is of course a lot easier with him.
I agree with you Dave. And Barry.
"He's got more assists than anybody in the whole country over the last four years, [so] we're not going to sell him cheap just because he's in his last year," Fry said.
words are cheap and there was a pre agreed release clause in the last contract he signed so fry is stating the bleedin' obvious

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16252
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by DaveLister » 30 Jun 2019, 19:08

Wycliffe wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 18:20
tonyp wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 17:16
DaveLister wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 13:49
One has to agree with Frys comments of Maddisons quality, the bloke is the best attacking player in the division and promotion is of course a lot easier with him.
I agree with you Dave. And Barry.
"He's got more assists than anybody in the whole country over the last four years, [so] we're not going to sell him cheap just because he's in his last year," Fry said.
words are cheap and there was a pre agreed release clause in the last contract he signed so fry is stating the bleedin' obvious
Frys always going to though isn't he? He knows Maddison will go sooner or later so he'll always talk him up to achieve the best deal for the club.

At the end of the day we're a selling club. That's our business model. When selling our assets we have to get the best deal to keep the club going.
Image

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17824
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by ashman » 30 Jun 2019, 20:05

DaveLister wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 19:08
Wycliffe wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 18:20
tonyp wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 17:16

I agree with you Dave. And Barry.
"He's got more assists than anybody in the whole country over the last four years, [so] we're not going to sell him cheap just because he's in his last year," Fry said.
words are cheap and there was a pre agreed release clause in the last contract he signed so fry is stating the bleedin' obvious
Frys always going to though isn't he? He knows Maddison will go sooner or later so he'll always talk him up to achieve the best deal for the club.

At the end of the day we're a selling club. That's our business model. When selling our assets we have to get the best deal to keep the club going.
Every club is a selling club but the point I was making was that we maybe need to change our business model. If we are truly serious about promotion into the Championship and even more than that, staying there, then DMac and co need to think this one through very carefully indeed!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe
Posts: 1893
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by Wycliffe » 30 Jun 2019, 20:54

ashman wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 20:05
DaveLister wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 19:08
Wycliffe wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 18:20


words are cheap and there was a pre agreed release clause in the last contract he signed so fry is stating the bleedin' obvious
Frys always going to though isn't he? He knows Maddison will go sooner or later so he'll always talk him up to achieve the best deal for the club.

At the end of the day we're a selling club. That's our business model. When selling our assets we have to get the best deal to keep the club going.
Every club is a selling club but the point I was making was that we maybe need to change our business model. If we are truly serious about promotion into the Championship and even more than that, staying there, then DMac and co need to think this one through very carefully indeed!
I get that but we have been at this 'crossroads' with other star players.
Maybe we have to accept as fans that there is a finite level we can reach outside the c'ship where we can keep the top players happy especially when FFP in mind

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17824
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by ashman » 30 Jun 2019, 23:28

Wycliffe wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 20:54
ashman wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 20:05
DaveLister wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 19:08


Frys always going to though isn't he? He knows Maddison will go sooner or later so he'll always talk him up to achieve the best deal for the club.

At the end of the day we're a selling club. That's our business model. When selling our assets we have to get the best deal to keep the club going.
Every club is a selling club but the point I was making was that we maybe need to change our business model. If we are truly serious about promotion into the Championship and even more than that, staying there, then DMac and co need to think this one through very carefully indeed!
I get that but we have been at this 'crossroads' with other star players.
Maybe we have to accept as fans that there is a finite level we can reach outside the c'ship where we can keep the top players happy especially when FFP in mind
.... and that is the dilemma in which we find ourselves. Are you saying that we should be happy to remain in League One, continue with the present policy, sell a top player whenever needed and forget about Championship aspirations? I am not convinced either way. As long as I can drag myself along to watch my team I will be a happy bunny!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe
Posts: 1893
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by Wycliffe » 01 Jul 2019, 08:47

ashman wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 23:28
Wycliffe wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 20:54
ashman wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 20:05

Every club is a selling club but the point I was making was that we maybe need to change our business model. If we are truly serious about promotion into the Championship and even more than that, staying there, then DMac and co need to think this one through very carefully indeed!
I get that but we have been at this 'crossroads' with other star players.
Maybe we have to accept as fans that there is a finite level we can reach outside the c'ship where we can keep the top players happy especially when FFP in mind
.... and that is the dilemma in which we find ourselves. Are you saying that we should be happy to remain in League One, continue with the present policy, sell a top player whenever needed and forget about Championship aspirations? I am not convinced either way. As long as I can drag myself along to watch my team I will be a happy bunny!
I don't think I doubt the owners in any way re their determination and commitment to succeed and progress but they have to juggle a lot more things than we would know of and without publicly declaring what they are we may never know.

Re MM, the lad despite his personal shortcomings (seemingly less so nowadays) deserves a chance to play in the c'ship. Yes I would prefer he did it with us next season but one can't blame him for wanting the move to at least try and in Grant at least he has a manager who 'gets him'.

The money wouldn't be a lot for a club the size of Hull but their owner is loathe to splash out whilst trying to sell.

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17824
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by ashman » 01 Jul 2019, 10:30

Wycliffe wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 08:47
I don't think I doubt the owners in any way re their determination and commitment to succeed and progress but they have to juggle a lot more things than we would know of and without publicly declaring what they are we may never know.

Re MM, the lad despite his personal shortcomings (seemingly less so nowadays) deserves a chance to play in the c'ship. Yes I would prefer he did it with us next season but one can't blame him for wanting the move to at least try and in Grant at least he has a manager who 'gets him'.

The money wouldn't be a lot for a club the size of Hull but their owner is loathe to splash out whilst trying to sell.
With you all the way on your points but I think that Hull are in a hell of a mess financially and in other respects. Grant will be faced with a really tough season. At least when he took over at Posh he had about 90% of the fans on his side but I gather that there are many, many Hull fans less than supportive to his appointment and MM would struggle to play his best in a failing club - he needs stability in his life, something that he seems to have finally found within the Posh setup.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 395
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by Gaz_Miller » 01 Jul 2019, 11:21

If we sell Maddison to Hull then I'd have to rethink how much time & money I gave up to Posh. We could well replace Hull in the Championship next year & we should be aiming higher than them.

With the new co-owners in place I'd hoped that money isn't an issue anymore (obviously they have to balance the books BUT if you keep selling the best then we'll never achieve their dream of Championship football).

People like Gwion are replaceable, Maddison's are not.
Didn't McCann bring in Cooper to replace Marcus two years ago? Not fit to tie his laces.
I have no internet friends

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17824
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Maddison to Hull

Post by ashman » 01 Jul 2019, 16:01

Gaz_Miller wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 11:21
If we sell Maddison to Hull then I'd have to rethink how much time & money I gave up to Posh. We could well replace Hull in the Championship next year & we should be aiming higher than them.

With the new co-owners in place I'd hoped that money isn't an issue anymore (obviously they have to balance the books BUT if you keep selling the best then we'll never achieve their dream of Championship football).

People like Gwion are replaceable, Maddison's are not.
Didn't McCann bring in Cooper to replace Marcus two years ago? Not fit to tie his laces.
With you on every single point you make! (except that I am already committed to full season ticket home and away.) :clap2:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Post Reply